Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Clubhouse Love Stories | Frida & Diego



I am a die hard 
Frida Kahlo 
fan.
I am not just enamored with her being & with the personification of her art
but also with her peculiar love story 
with one 
Mr. Diego Rivera 

!!!!



I see a lot of her within myself 
and I found so may similarities between her love saga with 
Diego 
and mine with a gentleman whose name will go unrevealed here.

I first felt my flair of love 
for Frida 
when I'd come across 
this poem by
Marty McConnell 
titled 
'Frida Kahlo to Marty Mcconell'

leaving is not enough; you must
stay gone. train your heart 
like a dog. change the locks
even on the house he’s never
visited. you lucky, lucky girl. 
you have an apartment 
just your size. a bathtub
full of tea. a heart the size 
of Arizona, but not nearly
so arid. don’t wish away 
your cracked past, your 
crooked toes, your problems
are papier mache puppets
you made or bought because the vendor
at the market was so compelling you just
had to have them. you had to have him.
and you did. and now you pull down 
the bridge between your houses,
you make him call before 
he visits, you take a lover
for granted, you take 
a lover who looks at you
like maybe you are magic. make
the first bottle you consume
in this place a relic. place it 
on whatever altar you fashion
with a knife and five cranberries.
don’t lose too much weight.
stupid girls are always trying 
to disappear as revenge. and you 
are not stupid. you loved a man
with more hands than a parade 
of beggars, and here you stand. heart
like a four-poster bed. heart like a canvas. 
heart leaking something so strong 
they can smell it in the street.
*
The words of this poem resonated within me 
oddly enough made me wonder more, 
not about Marty but about Frida.
 For someone to even think that she'd speak such 
 eloquent truth was enough to get me hooked on the woman.


*

While delving into the life of Frida Kahlo I consistently came across 
the tumultuous yet passionate love story 
that was carved out by the life that her 
& fellow artist 
Diego Rivera had together.

The marriage between Frida & Diego was considered to be one of the most 
famous alliances between artist

Their relationship was one marked by great love and passion 
as well as great turmoil & betrayal.

Frida thought of Diego as one of the greatest artist of all time 
and put much of the pain from their relationship on canvas.

Frida has been quoted as saying 
"I don't know why I call him my Diego, he belongs only to himself"

(image via xtimeline.com)

Nevertheless she still held her husband to a high regard 
and had great respect for his insight & intellect
and also thought of him as her artistic superior.
When Diego was said to be running off & marrying film star
Maria Felix 
in 1949
Frida was deeply hurt & this portrait below is what came of it 

'Diego & I'

This painting of Frida's is one that I highly favor 
because I can relate deeply to each of the details and the emotion behind it's conception.

*Note  she placed Diego on her forehead because he lived in her every thought
note also the tears on her face expressing her sorrow & the third eye on Diego's forehead 
expressing her view on his profound outlook & elevated level of life.


Frida has also been quoted as saying, 

"I've suffered two grave accidents in my life. One in which a streetcar knocked me down
... the other accident is Diego."




(images via pbs.org)

The couple married twice. Divorcing once in 1940, with the divorce lasting 1 year.
It is said that Diego loved Frida very deeply 
and believed in her immense talent 
& despite his many affairs with other women 
he did all that he could to help further Frida's career.
It has also been said that he thought of her as 
the greatest mexican woman artist.
It is Diego who is responsible for introducing Frida 
to the art community in both 
Mexico & New York.

As an artist Frida spent years in Diego's shadow 
but today she is now more famous then he.

Though their love wasn't perfect 
I suppose they found it worth it 
because they belonged to one another 
until death did them part.

I sometimes feel that my love & I are 
Diego & Frida
reincarnated 
wouldn't that be something 

What are some of your favorite 
love stories

Please do share

!!!!



xo

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE your blog..very inspiring...I especially love the story about Frida...heard about the movie but didn't take as much interest...will definitely be back for more! I'm a new blogger, check it out.
    Www.simplyherliving.blogspot.com
    There's also a beauty giveaway contest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this post. I don't know much about Frida Kahlo but what I do know about her is extremely admirable. And I especially love the picture of her with Diego Rivera

    ReplyDelete